March 7, 2012

Working the Steps: Step 3

"Step by step, I'm walking on water to a land no man can see." Bryan Duncan



Step Three: We made a decision to turn our will and our lives over to the care of God.

Because Step 3 is so critical, we must check our progress on the previous steps. If we haven't done the work of Step One and Step Two we can't go forward. If we still think we have everything under control and our sanity isn't a problem, we probably aren't ready to turn our lives over to God.

To prepare ourselves for Step Three we fully accept our inability to manage our lives and receive the seeds of faith God planted in our hearts. Having done those things we are ready to turn our life and our will over to God's loving care.

Just as a building needs a firm foundation, Step Three is central to all of the steps.  We need this important cornerstone for an effective, peaceful life in recovery.
Without God in control our lives will be just as they've always been... a mess!
With a clear mind we commit ourselves to the decision, surrendering to God and His outcome. The more we learn to trust in the Lord, the more we will trust ourselves and that trust then extends to others. Now free from the bondage of self-will, our negative behaviors fall away; daily routines improve and life begins anew.

With God's presence in our lives our sense of self improves, we begin to believe we are worthy human beings. We are able to give and receive love again.


I urge you, in view of God's mercy, to offer your bodies as living sacrifices, holy and pleasing to God--which is your spiritual worship. ~ Romans 12:1

You may want to pray this prayer:
God I humbly offer myself to You, build me and do with me what You want. Remove this bondage of self, so I can do Your will. Give me victory over my difficulties so others will see Your power and Love in my life.

Our theme song for Working the Steps: Step by Step by @Bryan_Duncan


**Excerpts from The Twelve Steps for Christians