January 2, 2013

The Road to Recovery :: STEP ONE


Step One:


We admitted we were powerless over the effects of our separation from God--that our lives had become unmanageable. 

I know nothing good lives in me, that is, in my sinful nature. For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out. ~ Romans 7:18

Principle One (Celebrate Recovery):


Realize I'm not God; I admit that I am powerless to control my tendency to do the wrong thing and that my life is unmanageable. 

Blessed are the poor in spirit. ~ Matthew 5:3




The pain of remaining the same has finally become greater than the fear of change. After spending a lifetime hiding from or numbing our pain, it's time to surrender and face our pain head on. 


This first step requires that we recognize our brokenness so our healing process can begin. We can't heal a wound unless we admit it exists; we must face and admit our denial. 



The Celebrate Recovery Bible has a wonderful acrostic for DENIAL:


D - disables our feelings.
E - energy drain.
N - negates our growth.
I  -  isolates us from God.
A - alienates us from other human relationships.
L -  lengthens our pain. 

We should now ask ourselves:


In what way have I isolated myself from God and others? 

How do I disable my feelings?

What areas of my life are out of control?



Don't allow the fear of change to rule your life. Healing is possible!


If you are struggling with hurts, habits or hang-ups and aren't participating in a 12 Step support group, I encourage you to seek one out. Celebrate Recovery groups are available in most cities.  


I hope you enjoy our Road to Recovery Theme song for this year:  http://youtu.be/yHIO_1JlBKc




Resources:

Celebrate Recovery Bible
The Twelve Steps for Christians