April 29, 2008

Feelings

I remember when Bill and I first went to the Intimacy seminar in Houston led by Dr. Doug Weiss. I was still living in serious denial of my addiction. Each of the couples were to do this 'feeling' exercise, where we took turns picking a feeling from a list and then sharing a time in our childhood when we felt that feeling. I found myself unable to even deal with these thoughts... these questions...my brain couldn't handle it...It was so strange. Then Dr. Weiss commented that sex addicts have trouble with this exercise because they don't know what or even how they really feel. Whoa! Now my brain was actually hurting... That was almost 4 years ago...I still struggle some days with expressing my feelings, but it gets easier the more I do it. The hardest part for me is getting the first word out. After that it's almost a relief to know how I feel. A validation of who I really am.