May 18, 2009

Focus on Delight

Most people I know today are going through some sort of struggle; whether it is financial difficulties brought on by the sagging economy or disharmony with family or loved ones. My family is no different. Like many others we are pressing through yet another job transition; depending on the Lord everyday to provide our basic needs.

I recently attended a women's retreat where the speaker quoted Psalm 37:4: "Delight yourself in the Lord and he will give you the desires of your heart." She went on to explain that delight in the original Hebrew means "to be soft or pliable." I was struck by that definition; not what we normally think of when we hear the word delight. This got me pondering...

I remembered in February I posted a column titled Moldable Clay where I asked the question, "How do we stay moldable in our Father's hands?" I can honestly say now I have the answer --- We stay moldable when we delight ourselves in Him. But how can we actually do that? How do we delight ourselves in the Lord?

Noah Webster's New International Dictionary defines delight: A high degree of gratification of mind; a state of pleasurable feeling; lively pleasure; extreme satisfaction; joy; to have or take great delight or pleasure; to be greatly pleased or rejoiced.

To delight in someone means to experience great pleasure and joy in their presence. This only happens when we know that person well and to do that we must spend time with them. To find delight in the Lord, we must spend time with Him, purposely, actively seeking Him and the pleasure that can only be found in His presence.

For me that also means even in hard times, looking past the circumstances to see God's hand and to rest there knowing He loves me so much that He will take care of me no matter what. Like a little child who giggles as their mommy or daddy holds them. They're just so happy to be in their arms, safe and secure, needing nothing.

What's interesting for me is the round about circle this process has taken me... It started with a deep desire to keep my heart from getting hardened again, which caused me to ask God to help me to stay moldable... then I find the answer to staying moldable is to find delight in His presence which will in turn keep me soft and pliable in His hands. God is so good! He truly knows our hearts desire and will help us find the way to bring it about.

Let's take our focus off all the problems and find that childlike delight in our Father's arms today. Put on some peaceful worship music... sit back or lie on the floor... experience the joy of His presence... rest... be content to just be with Him. He will meet you there.