February 8, 2012

BOOK REVIEW: Power Thoughts by Joyce Meyer



POWER THOUGHTS ~ 12 Strategies to Win the Battle of the Mind 
by @JoyceMeyer
FaithWords 2011
270pp



Anyone who knows me, knows I'm a huge Joyce Meyer fan. Not because she's a marvelous teacher, although she is. But through Joyce's transparency, sharing her hurts and struggles, God has brought me healing and personal transformation. I've read most of her books, watched her television broadcast and listened to her CD's, consistently for seven years. Without a doubt, Joyce Meyer's ministry has had more impact on my life than any other. You can't go wrong reading any of her books, but today let's talk about Power Thoughts: 12 Strategies to Win the Battle of the Mind.

Power Thoughts isn't a book just to be read. It's a textbook that needs to be studied and used over and over again. Joyce frequently admits her own struggle in the area of her mind. And like a good teacher, she's passing on tools she knows work, because they've helped her. In her traditional "Mama J" style, with review questions and Power Pack Scriptures placed throughout, Joyce gives us 12 Power Thoughts to help corral our mind. Here's a sample...
Power Thought 1: I can do whatever I need to do in life through Christ.
This one's a biggie for me. It's easy to get into a pity party about doing housework, thinking I'm not making a difference in the world. Then God reminds me that whatever I need to do today, is what He wants me to do and I can do it through Christ's strength if I will keep my mind on Him!

Joyce encourages us to focus on one Power Thought for a week, posting it on a 3x5 card in visible places around our home or office. Then throughout the day it's available to review, thus keeping it top of mind. I've used this technique over the years with Scripture and affirmations with great success.

Often we don't realize our problems start with a thought. If we're depressed, we need to stop and have a "think session." By reviewing what's been running through our mind, we'll find negative thoughts are the culprits. Once we get control of our thoughts, we'll change our attitude and eventually our actions. Then we can enjoy the life Jesus died for us to have!

No matter what your struggle, thoughts are critical to overcoming any situation. I encourage you to get Power Thoughts: 12 Strategies to Win the Battle of the Mind by Joyce Meyer. Don't just read it. Really do the work. It can and will change your life...
I offer you twelve "power thoughts" that can revolutionize your life if you will believe them, allow them to take root in your mind, and act on them in your everyday life. ~ Joyce Meyer