December 12, 2012

BOOK REVIEW: The End of Overeating by David A. Kessler, MD




The End of Overeating:

Taking Control of the Insatiable American Appetite

by
@DavidAKesslerMD

Rodale, Inc. 2009
330 pp









While scanning the Internet for blog material, I ran across this book. The title was intriguing and seemed to fit my research needs, so I placed my Amazon order. Upon it's arrival, I was so overcome with the shocking information being revealed to me that I consumed the book as fast as I could. 


Do you have an overpowering urge to eat an entire bag of chips while surfing late night TV?

Does the dessert tray at your dinner date call your name long before your entree has arrived?


In The End of Overeating Dr. David Kessler explains in fascinating, but scary, details why the food industry's conniving scientific, "tricked-out" recipes keep us coming back again and again to foods that are not at all in our best interest.

The End of Overeating is timely and brilliant... disturbing but vitally important! Well written with engaging short chapters that keep you cruising through the book at an amazing pace. The information is concise and life changing! We can get off this overeating roller coaster if we take heed and do the work Dr. Kessler carefully lays out.

In studying sexual addiction I knew that food addiction was similar. But not until reading this book have I seen it so clearly. I've never read a book that so closely describes sexual addiction! 

Among the many internal conflicts that plague us---the unwanted thoughts, the anxieties, the compulsions and impulses that too often seem beyond our power to quiet--the struggle over what we eat is, for millions of people, the most daunting. (from the Foreword)

A few years ago this controversial former FDA commissioner, Dr. Kessler exposed the tobacco industry. Today he is taking on another business that's making us sick-- the "big food industry" who manipulates our tastebuds to get to our pocket books with scientifically designed recipes that keep us coming back for more. 

I will never look at a restaurant menu the same. Thank you Dr. Kessler!

For the sake of your health and your family's health--- Read this book!!


Check out this interesting interview with Dr. Kessler: http://youtu.be/3OqJhbSeUI8