March 27, 2013

Book Review: MADE TO CRAVE by Lysa TerKeurst





MADE TO CRAVE


by @LysaTerKeurst

Zondervan 2010

218 pp





Last December, while searching for books to review, I stumbled upon Made to Crave by Lysa TerKeurst.  I was unfamiliar with the author but found many books by her with raving reviews and as a seasoned Amazon shopper that means BUY =D 


With obesity rates rising, it's no secret that food is a big problem in our world today. Though this isn't my specific area of weakness, sex and food addiction are closely related, so I decided it would be a great selection to review. Little did I know God had a different reason for me to read this book.

On a seemingly normal Saturday afternoon, I was reading along when all of a sudden God snuck up and healed a deep emotional wound from my childhood! Just like that. Out of the clear blue. Healing came through Chapter 14 ironically titled Emotional Emptiness.

To process her own childhood emotional wounds, Lysa used Philippians 4:8:
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable--if anything is excellent or praiseworthy--think about such things."
So as I read how Lysa processed her painful memories, I processed my own unmet nurturing needs. Here are excerpts from my journal:
What is true about my childhood? It is true that by father was emotionally unavailable, an alcoholic, sex addict and womanizer. It is true that my older brother was born handicapped and my mother wasn't able to give me the nurturing I needed because she had to care for my siblings. It's true momma did the best she could. She didn't reject me on purpose, she was just running on her own strength and didn't have enough to go around.
What is right about my childhood? It is right that my mother did all she could to care for my brother. God just whispered to me -  if our roles had been reversed - if I had been in the wheel chair, my mother would have done the same for me! 
What is pure, lovely, admirable and praiseworthy in my childhood? What if I change my perspective on this emptiness and feeling of lack? What if I look back at this memory and see it as a sacrifice of love for my brother so that he could have the care that he needed most? Jesus doesn't see His wounds as a victim but as a sacrifice of love. I mustn't see the empty places as lack for me but as a gift to my brother and sister. By doing this my perspective changes to purity of heart, loveliness for my brother, my sister, and my mother. Seeing the positive vs. the negative allows my pain to become something admirable and praiseworthy.
Needless to say, I wasn't expecting a surprise healing that day. One thing I know, is that my burden is gone. I am free from that empty pain of lack! 

Our cravings may come in different packages but the bottom line is still the same: we're all trying to fill our spiritual emptiness, to moisten our dried up hearts with pleasures found in the world. It won't work no matter how hard we try. It seems the harder we try the deeper the hole gets, and the less satisfaction comes until we are so numbed that we can't feel our brains think any more.

Whatever your weakness: food, sex, gambling, shopping, media... You will find help in this book.  Where the word food shows up just fill in your particular weakness. That's what I did and it worked for me! 

I highly recommend Made to Crave by Lysa TerKeurst. It's an easy read, with touching personal stories sure to reach a spot in your heart. There are study guide questions at the end of each chapter that make it perfect for small groups to work together. 

Click here to watch a MADE TO CRAVE video by Lysa TerKeurst.