December 25, 2013

BOOK REVIEW :: Play by Stuart Brown, M.D.




PLAY:: 

How it Shapes the Brain, Opens the Imagination, and Invigorates the Soul

by 

Stuart Brown, MD











Earlier this year I reviewed Brene' Brown's book Daring Greatly in which I first learned of Stuart Brown and the National Institute for Play. Having my own challenges with finding play time I decided that PLAY was an important book for me to read.

In PLAYDr. Brown takes us to all sides of play, from the animal kingdom through the human lifecycle, play time in infancy to school yard rough and tumble, through adolescence on into adulthood. We learn through Dr. Brown's research the incredible importance play is to the prevention of violence in our world and spawning innovation in the marketplace.

Most interesting to me was to learn that the opposite of play is not work, but depression. Which makes total sense if you think about it. When you read PLAY you will discover your play personality, how to take your own play history and hopefully learn how to be free to play more.

I found this book quite interesting. A little heavy on the research for my personal taste, but all in all I recommend PLAY by Dr. Stuart Brown.

If you can't see the video screen below CLICK HERE for Dr. Stuart Brown's fascinating TED talk.